One in five books flights from mobile devices

20% of Brits now book flights on their tablet or mobile

Britons are becoming far more tech savvy when it comes to booking trips abroad, a new survey suggests.

The Skyscanner poll showed that a fifth of Brits now order flights on their tablet or mobile.

The travel search website also found a 152% worldwide rise in net searches for flights on their handheld gadgets over the past 12 months.

A fifth of those booking flights digitally – often for foreign holidays – do so from work, while the same proportion book from the gym or a meeting, the research showed.

A further 12% order from the pub, 10% during meals out and 1% from their bathroom.

The proportion of British travellers using their smartphones to scan for the best flight deals has jumped by 88% this year in comparison with the previous year.

Tablet travel searches have also seen a sharp rise, going up by 31%, Skyscanner found.

The percentage of flight reservations made on mobiles has ballooned by 79% in this same timespan.

Skyscanner analysed information of its mobile and desktop devices to contrast modern-day travellers’ search and booking habits when it comes to flights.

It found that more than six in 10 searches (64%) originated from travellers’ desktops, while the remaining 36% were split equally between tablets (18%) and mobile devices (18%).

One in five books flights from mobile devices | iceplc.com | © Association 2014