Many families ‘spending more’ on main holiday

More than half of people plan to spend more on their main holiday this year than they did last year, a study shows.

An average family of four expects to spend £1,878 on flights and accommodation, with 57% intending to shell out more than in 2014, according to research from M&S Bank.  One in 10 will spend more than £4,000.

Of those planning to spend more this year, 34% say this is because they are upgrading to a more expensive destination, while 24% are going on a longer holiday, and 19% are planning a break for more than a fortnight.

The most popular accommodation for British holidaymakers is hotels, with half planning to stay in one.

Some 58% of hotel guests are intending to go all-inclusive, with the remaining 42% preferring to opt for a hotel without meals included.

Self-catering is the second most popular type of accommodation, with nearly a quarter (23%) choosing this option.

The study shows that 12% expect to use a holiday home owned by family or friends.

When it comes to spending money, the average family of four will spend £2,240 between them, according to M&S Bank.

Although this adds up to more than flights and accommodation, a third of holidaymakers do not budget for their spending money.

 

Many families ‘spending more’ on main holiday | iceplc.com | © Press Association 2015